Monday, March 2, 2015

Storyboard and Script (02/03/2015)

Storyboard and Script

Today we received a lecture from Franz, our 2D Tutor, about Storyboards, Scripts and Environmental Designs. He went over the rule of thirds, camera angles and composition. He also described how composition direct ones attention.


Character Concepts/Sketches
I drew some more concept designs for my characters (who I finally have names for!) "Charles" and "Mary". I went up to see Franz to ask for some feedback for my sketches and he suggested to figure out what Era I want it to play in. He suggested looking at "Baron Munchhausen" and "Terry Gilliam", I was inspired to make the story take place in the French Revolution, but I think Trapeze wasn't that big during this time. I decided to have a look at 1950s Trapeze and found the most results, there was a movie about trapeze as well so I decided to let the story play in the 1950s. I looked up what names were popular during this time and decided on "Charles" and "Mary" for my characters.
I also told Franz that I am thinking about deceiving the viewer into thinking that the main character is a good guy from his appearance but is actually questionable. He suggested giving "Mary" some curves and edges to make her look more villainous. I tried out giving her a sharp chest but soft curves, and making her face and eyes more sharp, which I think worked quite well.

Script and Rough Storyboard
I started writing the script but I think I need to get it down visually first in order to write the script, so I did very rough, small panels for the storyboard, just so I can get an better idea of what kind of mood/atmosphere I want to create.
I found it quite difficult coming up for camera angles for the circus scene and the chase scene, I think I will have to look at some videos of trapeze to get a better understanding of the movement.
I looked up some chase scenes from movies, to see what kind of shots they used, and how they went from one shot to the next. I was able to apply some of the shots to my rough panels, but I will redefine them later. I am happy with the end scene but I am still not too sure how to do the opening of the first scene. I might show them to Franz tomorrow and as him for feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment