Friday, February 27, 2015

Character Concepts and Art styles (27/02/2015)

ASSESSMENT 1

CHARACTER CONCEPTS AND ART STYLES


PERFORMANCE STUDY
Today we received our next brief for our second Assessment "Performance Study", and a thorough look through our brief. We get time outside of class to prepare for our week of Dialogue animation.
I have had one idea for it so far, but I think I still need to explore my character more in order to decide on a dialogue for him. We need to incorporate a glass and coaster on a table in our animation and the character has to interact with it. My character is (of what I have so far) quite up himself, a little paranoid, blank, strict, pessimist, tidy, deceiving, perfectionist and a liar. So perhaps his dialogue could be: "This glass is half empty" while analysing it. 


MOOD BOARD (ART STYLES)
I looked at a few more styles that I want to go for, "The Incredibles" have a simple sharp and round features in their artwork. I like the faces and body shapes they used, they all differ and are very different from one another. I started to pick out the certain things I like about the styles, I liked the eyes in "Windwaker" and the softness of the lines in the poster for "The man on the flying Trapeze". I also decided I want to go for a vintage look for the circus, as circuses were quite big during that time. I also looked up what posters looked like during the era, and I think I want to incorporate the bright colours they used for the circus and the costumes.




CHARACTER SKETCHES
I explored making the boy built or slim, and also changing the shapes of his face. My first few sketches show his chin quite long, and his body quite built. I showed my designs to a classmate and he suggested making him slim, but I liked that he is portrayed as heroic through his shape language whereas his personality is villainous. I like the contrast between the two, and how looks can be deceiving. I also think it would be challenging to make his more "evil" personality shine through his actions rather than his appearance. I still think the face should have a few sharp shapes to make him look more questionable. I had some difficulty figuring out what hairstyle he should have, I thought of wavy, messy hair but I think it looks too out of place. I think short hair would suit him better, as his personality is more strict. 
I also explored shapes for the girl character, I want the two characters to contrast each other quite a bit. I also decided in what Era I want the Circus act to play in, I looked at a few photos/images of the Vintage Trapeze acrobats and saw that most women were quite curvy. I think if I give her an hourglass figure and very soft shapes it would contrast with the boy's built/masculine body shape. As well as having very curvy and round shapes, I think her eyes should be quite angular and sharp, and perhaps her eyebrows as well. I want her eyes to resemble a lion/cat's eye, to show that perhaps that she is dangerous/sly/sneaky/clever. I like the round and wavy hair for the girl as it would match with her round face shape but also resemble the Era.
I also thought more about what their costumes would look like, I don't think I want it to be too obvious that their costumes resemble a lion and a zebra so I tried simplifying the designs, e.g. giving only one or two stripes on the chest of the boy's costume to imply a zebra and only a round white circle for the girl's costume for the lion.
I did a few sketches for the "Beast" as well, I explored giving it curtain-like drapes as his mane and also ropes. I thought the ropes could be quite interesting as it would imply that the lion is strangled hence the boy killing the girl. I also thought back to making the face of the beast a lion skull rather than an actual lion head, the reason for this is that the skull would imply death and that the "threat is dead". I might do some more sketches for this tomorrow and try to figure out how to simplify the skull with the style I am going for.
I also need to think of what the backgrounds will look like, the forest and the circus scene. I imagine the forest scene to be grey and only the boy character and the beast are in colour, giving a surreal atmosphere, whereas the circus scene is full of colour.







No comments:

Post a Comment