Thursday, February 26, 2015

Working on Character Concepts and Mood Boards (26/02/2015)

ASSESSMENT 1

CHARACTER CONCEPTS, AND MOOD BOARD


Today we continued to work on our story ideas and character concepts. I was still not happy with my story ideas and not passionate about them, so I used the morning hours so come up with a story I like.
I listened to music and was able to tie in pieces of my previous ideas but also create a new idea I like.
Franz was able to help me with my idea a lot. At the beginning I only knew the boy would run away from the beast and eventually get to a mirror and see the beast. Franz helped me come up with a back story, and that the beast could represent the costume he/she wore. After lunch, our class was in the computer room and I looked up some styles that I can imagine my story in. I watched a lot of "Gobelins" animations and I liked the ones that had quite an "artsy" style.

I looked up the sort movies I liked that had a similar style to the one I imagine; "Duo", "Who's afraid of Mr. Greedy?", "Monstera Delicosa", "Fenrir", "Feast", "Paperman", "Between two Bears", "Over the Garden Wall" and "The longest road".
I also looked up what kind of colours I imagine in my story. I liked the lighting in "Birdman" and "Batman Forever". They both have a part in a theatre/circus and have quite dramatic lighting, cold and warm colours.



7.) IDEA
A boy is running away from a monster, the monster has a lion head and has strange objects on its body. As the chase continues the boy gets closer to a forest, he runs into it while the "Beast" stops in front of the forest. As the boy continues to get deeper into the forest, he gets to a clearing with a mirror. He looks at himself in the mirror but instead of his reflection he sees the "Beast's" reflection. The boy is shocked and as he stares at his reflection, the camera zooms into the eye of the "Beast". It blackens and we see two Trapeze performers on their high platforms in a circus. A woman (her outfit resembles a lion) is in the spotlight, while the boy (his outfit resembles a zebra) is in the dark. The girl is smiling and waving while the boy looks at her in jealousy. They both have their trapeze bar in hand and both "fly" toward each other, the woman lets herself fall and the boy catches her by her leg. We see a close up of his hand holding the leg, and he lets it go. -it goes black- It cuts back to the boy standing in front of the mirror, he is shocked and swirls around. He is about to walk off but stops, he turns around and leaps into the mirror, on the other end of the mirror we see him leaping for his trapeze bar. He catches the girl again. It ends with a shot of his hand holding the girl's leg.
When I imagine the story as a short movie, I see the forest scene in very pale colours. Whereas the circus scene is full of colours, the girl's side in in warm colours (as she is in the spotlight) while the boy's colours are more blue (as he is in the shadow). The costumes are meant to represent their characters, as he is the Zebra he feels like he is the victim as she "stole" his spotlight. He sees her as a threat, hence her costume representing a lion.
He is running away from himself, the beast represents all the guilt, and consequences of his action.
The beast is full of objects that represent all the things that were in the background of his performance.
I am not too sure if the ending works or not, whether it should end with him keeping hold of her, showing that he chose to not drop her, or to leave it open for the audience to decide. I personally like the idea more of leaving it open.

CHARACTER DESIGNS/SKETCHES
I started designing the characters and the "Beast". My first attempt was making the beast look scary, I gave it an animal skull head which gave me the idea to make the Trapeze Costumes with skull animals. The more I tried out designing it, the more problems occurred, the audience would not be ale to see the character's expressions, so I decided to make the costumes more simple and only hint at the animal design behind it.
I tried making the boy's head oval, but decided it looks too innocent, so I tried out making it more square-like. I like the idea of it being more square, as the character looks less like "the good guy". I want his design to be questionable, and the girl's design more innocent but also a little questionable.



No comments:

Post a Comment