Thursday, February 26, 2015

Character Design (25/02/2015)

ASSESSMENT 1

CHARACTER DESIGN

Today we received a master class from our 2D Tutor, Franz about Character Design. We learned about shape language, silhouette value and character history/personality.

I mainly worked on character designs for my Idea about a man who stops looking at his phone and notices the beauty surrounding him. I tried out the character profile silhouette, and it really helped because I got a better idea of how to make his face more interesting to look at. I also tried silhouette, which didn't help me as much, but still gave me a good idea of what I want him to look like (slim and clumsy looking). 
I did several concepts for him, but mainly kept his silhouette slim. I gave him bug eyes to make him look more innocent, as in the story he is oblivious to everything going on around him. I also tried turning him into a girl. I gave him an round shaped face at the start to make him look more vulnerable, but I think making it more oval like makes him look a little less vulnerable. Freckles would make him look more unique as a character and a little rebellious, I think. I also tried out making him a girl to see what I could come up with. 


Franz suggested that I should think of obstacles for the story, perhaps him trying to talk to the grey people but not getting through and has to figure out a way to get their attention somehow. Maybe he unplugs the electricity for the city. 
Oana also suggested showing him on his phone on his way to work, him on the computer at work, and back home on his Xbox. Then there is a power cut and he is forced to go outside and notices the beauty in the stars. As much as I like the idea of his day playing out, I think he should make a conscious decision to put his phone down. 

I felt I had become stuck with just one idea and wanted to explore other ideas as well:
OTHER STORY IDEAS:
6.) An old lady is walking through darkness, holding a small candle in her hand. As she deepens into the darkness, hands morph out of the black and try to put her light out. She shields the candle with her arm but as she reaches the end, a tall black figure appears in front of her and puts her candle light out.
I was watching many shorts from "Gobelins" and I noticed that the ones that stood out for me were the ones that had hidden messages, or obvious messages behind them. I know that this idea is very simple, maybe I can think of a way to make the candle into something else, or make it less obvious. The candle is meant to represent the old lady's life, and that she is struggling to overcome death. I like that the story is simple, there are obstacles, we know what she wants and we have a resolution at the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment